The Rebel in Me

After reading a post about someone's experience exercising at a health club (I believe it was), I decided to be honest about my own experience and philosophy of exercise.

I confess to being quite frugal with money and not liking to sweat very much.  I also admit that I wouldn't consider myself an extremely active person.  Maybe these traits contribute to the fact that  I've never been a huge fan of "artificial" exercise. 

It seems to me that there's always some new class or stream of exercise calling for fees, equipment, clothes/shoes, and inconvenient scheduling.   My first instinct is to resist these.  That's why at age 63,  I'm more conscious of and committed to incorporating "natural" movement, activity, and thoughtfulness into everyday chores. 


Maybe it's an age thing.  Maybe it's just the rebel in me...
but when, why, and how did exercise become Big Business?
 


5 comments:

  1. even if I had the money and wanted to spend it at a gym, I shudder to think of the time and commitment...though I confess at times I wish I had a personal trainer who would work with just ME like the movie stars have! LOL ! Sadly I am trapped in a vicious cycle of living with pain that prevents me from doing a lot of even "natural" exercise...which doesn't help the pain :( So I have to take advantage of "good" days and move as much as I can and rest on the "not so good" days...I chalk it up to an age thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacque, I'm not sure I know of anyone more naturally active than you taking care of those three active grandchildren! So sorry about your pain. Wish I could wave a "magic wand"....

      Delete
  2. I have a hard time making myself move since I know the pain involved. But recently on writing days I've set my phone alarm for every hour. I make myself move even if I'm in the middle of a thought. It's amazing how that helps in the long run. An added bonus is that I get tiny 5 or 10 minute chores done all through the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's a great idea, Pamela--setting the phone alarm and MOVING!

      Delete